Table of Contents Hide
Rajasthan General Knowledge (GK)
The literal meaning of the name Rajasthan is “The land of Rajputs”. The history of Rajasthan is full of tales of valor and bravery. The history of Rajasthan is divided into three parts Ancient history, Medieval History, and Modern History.
History of Rajasthan
Ancient History of Rajasthan (till 1200 AD)
- In this region first time, the human settlement was found back in the Indus Valley civilization. The excavation evidence of the Jhunjhunu and Sikar sites proves that the human settlement in this region is as old as 5,000 years.
- Excavation at the Kalibanga in 1998 shows evidence of Harappan civilization.
- The Rajput dynasty started flourishing in the seventh century, and they started living in various parts of Rajasthan. Earlier, Rajasthan was divided into many republics, and also it was a part of the Mauryan Empire.
- The main occupants of this area were Ganarajyo included Malwa, Arjunya, Yodhya, Kushan, Sakya Satrap, Gupta, and Hans.
- The dominance of Rajputs in Indian history was seen during the eighth and twelfth centuries AD. From 750 to 1000 AD, Pratihara ruled over most of northern India and Rajasthan. Between 1000 and 1200 AD, Rajasthan had to contend between Chalukyas, Parmars, and Chauhans.
Medieval History of Rajasthan (1201–1707)
- In 1200 AD, some parts of Rajasthan came under the control of Muslim rulers. The central places of Muslim rulers included Nagaur and Ajmer. Ranthambore was also under subjection. By the 13th century AD, Mewar was the most powerful and prominent kingdom of Rajasthan.
- There were many clans who ruled over the Rajasthan, but among them, Rajput was the one who shaped the Rajasthan as it is known today.
- The Rajput dynasty started flourishing by the eighth century, and they rose to their peak by the ninth century and hold supremacy over the entire Rajasthan.
- But by the starting of the 12th century, the whole kingdom was separated and divided into thirty sex different clans and twenty-one different dynasties.
- During this period, Rajasthan faces the invasion of many foreign invaders. Among which the “Battle of Tarain” which was fought between the Prithviraj Chauhan and Muhammad Ghori in 1191 was one of the most important battles in the history of the Rajasthan.
- After getting defeated at the Battle of Tarain, Muhammad Ghori in 1192 reattacked Prithviraj Chauhan and become the first Muslim ruler to establish its empire in the Rajasthan.
- With time Muslim empire took control over the entire Rajasthan.
- By early 1700, in the history of Rajasthan, the rise of Marathas was seen. When Maratha ruler from Pune Peshwa Baji Rao I started marching towards the North. Marathas whose close aides were Holkar’s and Scindhia Rajasthan came under the influence of Maratha’s.
Modern History of Rajasthan (1707–1947)
- Before the Mughal emperor took supremacy over the Rajasthan. It was never politically united. By the effort of Mughal Emperor Akbar Integrated Perfection in Rajasthan was built. After 1707, the Mughal powers began to decline and their influence also began to diminish. As soon as the Mughal Empire collapsed, the Maratha Empire caught sight of Rajasthan. In 1755 Maratha captured Ajmer. By the ninth century, it was attacked by Pindari’s.
- Before the independence of India in 1947, Rajasthan comprises around two dozen princely states, the British controlled or administered province of Ajmer-Merwara, and Chiefships.
- After the independence of India in 1947, these chiefships, and princely states were integrated and formed a state named “Rajasthan”.
- After the States reorganization act of 1956, Rajasthan assumed its present form on the line of culture and Linguistic basis.
Important kings in Rajasthan history and their year
|6.||Jaitra Singh||1213-1250 (Mewar)|
|7.||Jai Singh II||1700-1743|
|9.||Lakshya Singh (Lakha)||1382-1421|
|12.||Maharana Raimal||1473-1509 (Mewar)|
|14.||Maharana Uday Singh||1537-1577|
|16.||Maharaj Soor Singh||1595-1619 (Jodhpur)|
|17.||Maharana Amar Singh||1595-1620 (Mewar)|
|18.||Maharana Raj Singh||1652-1680|
|20.||Maharana Karna Singh||1620-1628|
|21.||Mirja Raja Jai Singh||1621-1667|
|22.||Maharaja Rai Singh||1574-1612 (Bikaner)|
|23.||Maharaja Dalpati Singh||1612-1613|
|24.||Maharaja Soor Singh||1613-1631|
|25.||Maharaja Gaj Singh||1619-1638|
|26.||Maharaja Jashwant Singh I||1638-1678|
|27.||Maharaja Karna Singh||1631-1669|
|28.||Maharaja Sujan Singh||1700-1735|
|29.||Maharaja Gaj Singh||1746-1787|
|30.||Maharao Arjun Singh||1720-1723|
|31.||Maharao Bhim Singh||1707-1720|
|32.||Madho Singh||1634-1648 (Kota)|
|33.||Prithvi Raj Chauhan II||1177-1192|
|37.||Rao Ganga||1515-1531 (Rathore of Marwar)|
|40.||Rao Shatrushal Hada||1621-1658|
|41.||Rao Bham Singh Hada||1658-1681|
|42.||Rao Anirudh Hada||1681-1695|
|43.||Rao Durjan Singh||1723-1756|
|44.||Rao Surjan Singh||1569-1585 (Boondi)|
|47.||Rao Kishore Singh||1684-1696|
|48.||Rao Ram Singh||1696-1707|
|49.||Rao Jagat Singh||1658-1683|
|50.||Rao Mukund Hada||1648-1658|
|51.||Rao Raja Budh Singh||1695-1739|
- Complete Rajasthan GK
- First in Rajasthan | Rajasthan General Knowledge
- Important Rajasthan GK Questions
- State Symbol of Rajasthan