What is WHO full form?
The full form of WHO is the “World Health Organization” which is a United Nations specialized agency that is responsible for public health internationally. WHO is founded in the year 1948 on 7th April. The headquarter of WHO is located in Geneva Switzerland. After the day of establishment of WHO on 7th April this day is also celebrated as ‘world health day’.
United Nations Economic and Social Council is the parent organization of the World Health Organization, it has 150 field offices and six semi-autonomous regional offices all over the world.
The “World Health Report” is published by the WHO which is the assessment of public health.
Each country has to contribute to the annual budget of the World Health Organization and among these countries, Germany is the largest contributor followed by Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
Role of World Health Organization in Public Health
The following are the key roles of WHO in public health globally.
- The World Health Organization played a crucial in eradicating or combating diseases like bubonic plague, yellow fever, and cholera.
- In the controlling the diseases like Tuberculosis (TB), Sexually Transmitted diseases (STD), Malaria etc. World Health Organization played key role in planning for controlling of these diseases.
- Recently in the Covid-19 situation World Health Organization emerges as the leading organization is combating the disease.
- Every year it releases the world Health Report which gives the statics of the public health globally.
Major initiatives of WHO
The following are the important initiative of the World Health Organization.
- Access to COVID-19 Tools (ACT) Accelerator
- Arts and Health
- Be healthy be mobile
- Beijing+25: Generation Equality
- Cervical Cancer Elimination Initiative
- Comprehensive Mental Health Action Plan 2013-2030
- COVID-19 technology access pool
- Decade of Healthy Ageing (2021-2030)
- Defeating meningitis by 2030
- Eliminate yellow fever epidemics (EYE) 2017-2026
- Epidemic Intelligence from Open Sources (EIOS)
- Every Newborn Action Plan
- EVIPNet : Evidence-informed Policy Network
- Rehabilitation 2030
- United Against Rabies
- UN Decade of Action on Nutrition
- Urban Health Initiative
Also Read: UPSC Full Form | Full Form of UPSC