Estimated reading time: 4 minutes
What is the full form of BSF?
The word BSF is an acronym and the full form of the BSF is “Border Security Force”. BSF is a paramilitary force of India which was raised in the year 1965 in wake of the India-Pakistan war. It has it headquarter in the New Delhi and in total BSF has 186 Battalions in India.
The BSF is headed by an officer from the IPS cadre and the Director-general (DG) is the head of the Border Security Force (BSF). Currently, the Director-General (DG) of BSF is Rakesh Asthana, he is holding the Director general post till the 31st July 2021.
About Border Security Force (BSF)
- The motto of BSF is “Duty unto Death”.
- BSF is the only paramilitary force in India which has the air wing and water wing.
- The commando unit of BSF is known as the “Creek Crocodile Commando”.
Role of Border Security Force (BSF)
The BSF role is different in peacetime and at the time in war:
BSF’s role during peacetime is as:
- In the border areas the sense of security among the people is to be promoted by the BSF;
- BSF prevents the unauthorised exit or entry in India and stops the cross-border crimes.
- The illegal activities and smuggling are to be prevented on the border;
- Anti-infiltration duties; and
- To collect trans-border intelligence.
Its role during wartime is as:
- Holding ground in assigned sectors;
- Limited aggressive action against irregular forces of the enemy or central armed police;
- Territories which are under the army control their law and order are maintained by the BSF.
- Guarding of prisoners of war camps;
- In border areas BSF act as a guide to the Armed Forces;
- Assistance in control of refugees;
- Provision of sectors; and
- Conducting raids and special tasks intelligence gathering.
Ans.) Border Security Force (BSF) is a paramilitary force under the ministry of home affairs, it’s not part of the Indian Army.
Ans.) Anyone can join BSF if he or she fulfills the eligibility criteria of education and the age limit. The BSF can be joined by clearing the exams like SSC (CPO), UPSC (CAPF), Internal/departmental exams conducted by the BSF.
Ans.) BSF is a central government agency so it pays a very good salary to its soldiers and the salary varies as per their rank. Apart from the basic pay, there are many allowances which they get.
Ans.) You can apply for the BSF 2021 when there will be official notification by the SSC, UPSC, and BSF.
Also Read: BE Full Form