About CPSS Test
CPSS is the Computerized Pilot Selection System Test, CPSS is the replacement of the old Pilot Aptitude Battery Test (PABT) system which was established by the Britishers. CPSS is the State-of-Art based on an embedded microcontroller system with security features that are indigenously developed and designed by the Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE) for the Indian Airforce.
The candidates who applied for the flying branch their skill sets have been tested at the CPSS system. The candidate skills like Psychomotor skills: Coordination, Time-Sharing, Information processing skills (speed and accuracy), Cognitive Information Processing Skills, and Visualization. It tests the candidates in performing multiple tasks at the same time.
The CPSS system consists of 100 Nos. of Cognitive systems and 20 Nos. of Psychomotor systems each inducted and installed in the 3 Air Force Selection Boards (AFSB) at:
- Dehradun AFSB (1 AFSB)
- AFSB Mysuru (2 AFSB)
- AFSB Varanasi (4 AFSB)
Computerized Pilot Selection System Test (CPSS) used for the selection of the candidates for the flying branch of the Indian Airforce through the exams like NDA, AFCAT, CDS. The CPSS replaced almost all the instruments used in the PABT Test. Let’s talk about the Computerized Pilot Selection System Test (CPSS Test) in more detail and all its feature.
Read Here: About Complete SBB and Medical Process
What is the Computerized Pilot Selection System (CPSS) Test?
It selects the best pilots for the Indian Airforce, to fly the advanced level of aircraft for the Indian Airforce like Rafael, Tejas, SU-30, etc., to replace the old PABT system Indian Airforce installed the Computerized Pilot Selection System Test (CPSS) system at the Air Force Selection Board Mysore (2AFSB).
When in 1997 DR. APJ Abdul Kalam was the scientific adviser of the prime minister he suggested the more advance and more intelligent test for the Indian Airforce pilot in consonance with the Indian Airforce advanced aircraft. Thus, CPSS is the brainchild of DR. Kalam.
The Computerized Pilot Selection System (CPSS) Test aims at solving flying accidents because of pilot error.
After the establishment of the Computerized Pilot Selection System (CPSS) Test system at the AFSB Mysore, it also established at the AFSB Dehradun and AFSB Varanasi.
Who developed the Computerized Pilot Selection System (CPSS) Test?
It has been jointly developed by the Air Defence Establishment (ADE) and Defence Institute of Psychological Research (DIPR) both are the premier organizations of the (DRDO) Defence Research and Development Organization.
What is the Need for a Computerized Pilot Selection System (CPSS) Test?
To select the best candidates to fly the most advance and modern technology which is inducted or being introduced in the future in the Indian Airforce.
The 5th generation fighter aircrafts put an immense mental and physical load on the aircraft pilots and system operators. So, it’s the need of the hour to select the best and most suitable candidate for the advanced aircraft. By replacing the old PABT the CPSS Test is a good step in achieving this aim.
The Computerized Pilot Selection System (CPSS) Test is successfully addressing the Indian Airforce’s long-standing demand for a more advanced and more scientific selection system on par with the other advanced nation, to meet the future demand.
Brief Details of CPSS Test
Computerized Pilot Selection System (CPSS) Test has been jointly developed by the Air Defence Establishment (ADE) and Defence Institute of Psychological Research (DIPR), Delhi both are the premier organizations of the (DRDO). With the aim of developing the entire software and hardware system and successfully hardware implementation of the Cognitive System and Psychomotor system by the Air Defence Establishment (ADE) and development of the software for the Cognitive Test and Psychomotor Tests by the Defence Institute of Psychological Research (DIPR).
The CPSS Test access the candidates by subjecting them to multiple tasks and by testing their flying aptitude of Cognitive Skills and Psychomotor Skills.
The Computerized Pilot Selection System (CPSS) Test has completely replaced the old Aptitude Battery Test (PABT) which had the manual objective type exams and elementary PC machine-based tests that is Instrument Comprehension tests (INSB).
In August 2010 an agreement was signed between the Indian Airforce and DRDO (DIPR) to establish the 100 cognitive systems and 20 psychomotor cockpit systems along with all the required infrastructure at the Air Force Selection Board at Dehradun, Mysore, and Varanasi in the phased manner.
Silent Features of Computerized Pilot Selection System (CPSS) Test
- The complete hardware installation consists of state of art embedded microcontroller system, controls, sensors, and fiberglass-based cockpit which were indigenously developed by using off-the-shelf components, which makes the CPSS system for self-reliant longer product support.
- Air Defence Establishment (ADE) had developed the state of art keyboard base on a USB membrane, main controller unit based on a microcontroller with dedicated device driver software.
- To prohibit unauthorized access to the system the high-security features have been built.
- For easy calibration and fault-finding comprehensive diagnostic software has been provided.
- For easy maintenance, at the sub-assembly level designed modular system with plug-in units.
- High-reliability redundancies had been given in networking infrastructure, servers, and power supply.
- The CPSS system is developed with long-term support required so that outdated technology is avoided.
Important Related Links for CDS Exams
CPSS System Details
The CPSS system is basically divided into two sub-systems that are Cognitive Testing sub-system and the Psychomotor testing sub-system. These are explained below:
- Cognitive Testing sub-system- It is 100 Nos. of PC-based cognitive terminal with full networking connected to the server and arranged in a hall. An OLED display customized membrane keyboard has been provided to each cognitive terminal.
- Psychomotor testing sub-system- It is a simulator of an aircraft cockpit where candidates are tested through various tests. Here the candidates are required to control or operate the aircraft controls like a rudder, throttle, control stick, visual warning systems, and various aural systems.
- There is an instructor station that has a projection system that controls all the test operations, it also displays the instructional videos and monitors all the cognitive terminals status.
- Psychomotor systems and Cognitive systems are connected to networking infrastructure and Database servers.
- For the briefing of the candidates who are about to be tested the DSP-based audio solution and multimedia projection systems are provided.
CPSS Tests and Questions
The two-level of testing is done in the CPSS are given below:
Cognitive Ability Test
- There are 6 tests.
- Total Questions in these 6 tests: 212 (MCQ Based)
- Total Time for these 6 tests: 2 hours 30 minutes
Recognizing Scales and meters like Airspeed Indicator, Magnetic Compass, Altimeter, Vertical Speed Indicator, Altitude Indicator, and Turn Coordinator
Determining airplane position from instruments.
|Spatial Ability Test
Perceiving 3D and 2D figures in Space.
|Spatial Visualization Test
Perceiving object position in space.
|Numerical Reasoning Test
Non-Verbal and Verbal Reasoning.
- There are 10 tests.
- 4 chances for each test are given and the best attempt is counted.
- Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Sensory Motor Test
Control Velocity Test
Dot Estimation Test
Speed Anticipation Test
Size Anticipation Test
Pursuit Tracking Test
Memory Recalling Test
Colour Naming Test
FAQ’s on CPSS
Q.1) What is the full form of CPSS?
Ans. The full form of the CPSS Test is Computerized Pilot Selection System Test.
Q.2) How many chances one gets for CPSS?
Ans. One can give CPSS test only once in his/her lifetime.
Q.3) What is CPSS Test?
Ans. CPSS test is a Computerized Pilot Selection System Test which is conducted for the recruitment of the pilots in the Indian Airforce.
Q.4) Is CPSS Tough?
Ans. No, CPSS Test is not tough one can easily clear the CPSS test with some practice and dedication.
Q.5) Are PABT and CPSS the same?
Ans. No, PABT and CPSS Test is totally different tests, CPSS Test is the new and more advanced version that replaced the old PABT test.
Q.6) What are CPSS and PABT?
Ans. CPSS is the Computerized Pilot Selection System Test and PABT is the Pilot Aptitude Battery Test. The CPSS is newly inducted in the SSB selection center and PABT is an old system established by Britishers.
Q.7) What are CPSS games for PC?
Ans. Any game which uses multiple sensory organs at the same time is good for CPSS Test. There is a game you can play on your mobile and PC is “Guardian of the Sky” by the Indian Airforce.
Q.8) What is CPSS Eligibility?
Ans. The eligibility for the CPSS Test is the same as the candidate applying for a flying branch through the NDA, CDS, and AFCAT.